Vampirism is a disease that is acquired after the Sanguinare Vampiris has infected the body longer than three days. Sanguinare Vampiris can be contracted whenever a vampire casts Vampiric Drain on you, there is a 10% chance for you to be infected with the disease.
A Vampire Lord ability is introduced by the Dawnguard with eleven perks to unlock through leveling up. In addition, when Dawnguard is installed, NPCs no longer automatically turn hostile when the Dragonborn is at stage four vampirism, but they will attack if players are in Vampire Lord form.
At the beginning, Sanguinare Vampiris is just a normal disease that decrease players maxium health by 25 points and can be easily cured with a potion of Cure Disease, a Vigilant of Stendarr, or by shrines.
At sunrise of the first day after contracting Sanguinare Vampiris, a message "You feel strangely weakened by the sunrise" will appear and, at sunset of that day, "You feel a strange thirst come over you".
The disease will progress to full vampirism in three days if without curing, and it can no longer be cured by normal means.
When infected with Lycanthropy, or engaged in Beast Form by Hircine's Ring or completing the Companions questline, characters will fully immune to vampirism.
Argonians and Bosmer with their natural abilities are 50% less to contract vampirism.
Stages of Vampirism
- Active Effects
- Active Effects
- Active Effects
Active Effects and Abilities
Champion of the Night
- A permanent active effect you gain from stage one onward that increases the potency of your Illusion spells by 25%.
- A permanent active effect you gain from stage one onward that makes you 25% harder to detect while sneaking.
Weakness to Sunlight
- While outside during the day, health, magicka, and stamina are reduced, and the regeneration for each of these stats is reduced by 100%. The reduction increases with each stage of vampirism, as indicated in the table above. Day begins at 5am and ends at 7pm regardless of the visibility of the sun.
- If Dawnguard is installed, Vampiric Drain can drain health, magicka, and stamina from the target if a Volkihar optional quest is completed and the Bloodstone Chalice is used.
- Stage 1: Drains 2 health per second. Costs 6 magicka per second.
- Stage 2: Drains 3 health per second. Costs 10 magicka per second.
- Stage 3: Drains 4 health per second. Costs 13 magicka per second.
- Stage 4: Drains 5 health per second. Costs 17 magicka per second.
- Reanimate a dead body to fight for you for one minute. Can be used once per day
- Stage 1: Reanimate a weak dead body for 60 seconds.
- Stage 2: Reanimate an average dead body for 60 seconds.
- Stage 3: Reanimate a strong dead body for 60 seconds.
- Stage 4: Reanimate a very strong dead body for 60 seconds.
- This power is similar to the Calm spell and can be used once a day. Once the Dawnguard plug-in is installed, Vampire's Seduction will allow you to feed on NPCs at any time, regardless of whether they are sleeping.If you do not possess this power during the vampire version of the quest ProphetDG, you will temporarily receive it in order to enthrall Dexion Evicus, only to have it disappear after use.
Embrace of Shadows
- Embrace of Shadows is a power similar to the Invisibility spell that can be used once per day. While this power is active, you will be invisible and have Night Eye for 180 seconds. Interacting with the environment or attacking will make you visible again
In order to remain at, or return to, the first stage of vampirism, you must feed on a sleeping NPC. To do this press "Use" while crouching or standing over them and select "Feed".
- Feeding should be done with caution, as witnesses will immediately become hostile.
- You can feed on almost any NPC that sleeps in a bed, including all races and even ghosts and other vampires, but not children.
- A sleeping NPC may become hostile if they wake while feeding and detect one of your followers. This can be avoided by having your follower wait outside or providing them with a muffle enchantment.
- The most effective and safe way to feed is to use an Invisibility effect from either a potion, spell, or the Embrace of Shadows ability, since feeding is one of the few actions that does not cancel the effect.
- Followers can be fed on with total impunity, so long as there are no other witnesses.
- The Vampire Cattle are free to use for feeding.
After the first three days of infection, or if you obtained your vampirism from Lord Harkon or Serana, the task of finding a cure becomes more complex
- When visiting any inn, talk to the innkeeper and he or she will send you to Morthal to talk to Falion. This will start the quest Rising at Dawn.
- However, without Dawnguard installed, the innkeepers may attack player who is on stage four on sight, player may need to feed in order to lessen the effects of your vampirism.