Morthal is a Location in Elder Scrolls V Skyrim.
Morthal is named after the great Atmoran hero Morihaus, lies deep in the marsh, a foreboding area of Hjaalmarch isolated from other villages and shrouded by a constant and ominous fog.
Morthal's small population and relatively remote location have kept it distant from most major conflicts of Skyrim. The citizens of Morthal appear reclusive and cautious of outsiders. They are quite vocal about removing the town's more recent settler, a wizard by the name of Falion. They fear he might upset the balance of their quiet and peaceful existence.
- Agni, a foster daughter of Falion.
- Alva, a suspicious woman who can only be seen during the night.
- Aslfur, the Steward of Hjaalmarch.
- Benor, a follower who can be hired once the Dragonborn bests him in a brawl. Benor can be married.
- Falion, a mage.
- Gorm, the Jarl's Housecarl.
- Hroggar, a man who lost his wife and daughter in a fire.
- Jarl Idgrod Ravencrone, Jarl of Morthal and Hjaalmarch.
- Idgrod the Younger, the Jarl's daughter, and her younger brother, Joric.
- Jonna, the landlady of Moorside Inn.
- Jorgen, a man who is working at the mill.
- Joric, the Jarl's son.
- Lami, the proprietress of Thaumaturgist's Hut.
- Legate Taurinus Duilis, Commander of Imperial Legion forces in Hjaalmarch.
- Lurbuk gro-Dushnikh, a bard.
- Thonnir, a worker of the mill.
- Virkmund, a son of Thonnir.
- Helgi, Hroggar's dead daughter.
- Laelette, Thonnir's wife who disappeared.
- Pactur (can become Steward)
- Sorli the Builder (can become Jarl depending on Civil War Quest options)
- Teeba-Ei (possible Housecarl, depending on Civil War questline options)
- Valdimar, Housecarl to the Dragonborn, should he or she become Thane of Hjaalmarch.
Morthal Quests Map
Morthal Treasure Map
- Land to build Windstad Manor can be purchased here from the steward if DLC Hearthfire is installed. The location is northeast of Morthal, east of Solitude and immediately north of Ustengrav in the northern part of Hjaalmarch.
- If the Dragonborn stands on top of one of Morthal's buildings, they can see Solitude and the rocky peninsula it stands on. This is the only Hold Capital in which another can be seen, as Morthal is somewhat close to Solitude.
- The Seal of Morthal bears strong resemblance to the Triskele design commonly found in Celtic artwork. This ties into the fact that many other aspects of Skyrim also have a strong Celtic resemblance.
- Outside in the marsh, there is a summoning circle which Falion uses to cure vampirism.
- Chaurus and Frostbite Spiders may spawn near Morthal.