Marriage is an option that is available in Skyrim. Marriageable NPCs are covered in the page.
How to get married in Skyrim
In Skyrim, marrying an NPC is an option available regardless of either party's race or gender. To marry an NPC the player must complete some task or quest for them as well as The Bonds of Matrimony quest to get the marriage dialogue option to show up. After talking to Maramal and equipping the Amulet of Mara the player can then propose to their spouse and plan the wedding.
No Divorce, Remarriage
Polygamy is not allowed in Skyrim, you can only have 1 spouse at a time. Once married it is Impossible to Divorce your spouse. Players have tried killing or getting their spouses killed and then pursuing new partners with a new Amulet of Mara. Note that this may or may not succeed so it is suggested that a save file is made before any such attempt.
- Your spouse will prepare one Homecooked Meal every 24 hours.
- Your spouse may occasionally surprise you with a gift.
- Your spouse will set up a store and earn 100 septim per day.
- A spouse that was a Follower can still follow you.
- Sleeping near your spouse will add a bonus, "Lover's Comfort", which all skills improve 15% faster, and last for 8 hours.
There are some console commands that can be used in relation to Marriage. They can be used to allow players to marry any character or even help with attempted remarriage. See the Console Commands page for more detail.