Dragonsreach is a Location in Elder Scrolls V Skyrim.
"Dragonsreach earned its name when the ancient Nord hero Olaf One-Eye imprisoned his foe, the great dragon Numinex, within the palace."
―The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Dragonsreach is Jarl Balgruuf the Greater's keep in Whiterun.
Points of interest
- Before the Ages of Man (Illusion) - in the Jarl's Bedchamber Area.
- A Stone of Barenziah in the Jarl's Quarters. Taking the gem may give the Dragonborn a bounty of 250 Gold.
- Amulet of Zenithar in Hrongar's bedroom - end table on the right side of the bed
- An Explorer's Guide to Skyrim, on a bookcase behind the map table at the top of the stairs behind the Jarl's throne.
- The Aetherium Wars, in Farengar Secret-Fire's library
- Glass Sword in a display case on the right of the Great Hall. Master locked.
Dragonsreach Quests Map
Dragonsreach Treasure Map
- Despite being housecarl to Balgruuf and an overall important figure within Dragonsreach, Irileth does not have a bedroom of her own and instead spends all of her time standing in the Great Hall.
- Dragonsreach's design resembles and is possibly inspired by the design of Norse Stave Churches. These buildings had timber and beam structures and repeated the staves up to a raised roof.
- Beneath the bridge leading to the front doors of Dragonsreach, there is a skeleton underneath, containing a few gold that respawns after a few days. The story of this skeleton is unknown. This skeleton can be manipulated through necromantic spells.
- The shadow scheme of the Great Hall is a curiosity, as the fire pit casts no shadows at all while in the entrance area, upon entering the building, shadows are cast with no apparent light source.
- In the Jarl's Quarters there is an Elven Sword that can be taken from inside a master-locked display case as early as level one.
- Dragonsreach's design resembles also Meduseld, the great hall on top of the hill of Edoras in The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers. Expanding on this, the hall was said to be 'thatched with gold', and Dragonsreach's roof shows much golden colouring. Also, Whiterun and Rohan share a similar emblem: a horse.
- Dragonsreach appears in the trailer for The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard as Harkon narrates the Tyranny of the Sun, showing the sun being blocked out and darkness descending over the keep.