College of Winterhold
College of Winterhold is a Location in Elder Scrolls V Skyrim.
"You know, if you have the aptitude, you should join the Mage's College in Winterhold."
The College of Winterhold is located in the city of Winterhold and is a place in Skyrim for mages to gather to learn and do research. There is also a joinable faction by the same name.
College of Winterhold Quests
- Elder Knowledge
- First Lessons
- Under Saarthal
- Hitting the Books
- Good Intentions
- Revealing the Unseen
- The Staff of Magnus
- The Eye of Magnus
- Arniel's Endeavor
- Daedric Relic
- Out of Balance
- Tolfdir the Absent-Minded
- Fetch Me That Book!
- Shalidor's Insights
- Lost Apprentices
- Rejoining the College
- J'zargo's Experiment
- Onmund's Request
- Brelyna's Practice
- Alteration Ritual Spell
- Conjuration Ritual Spell
- Destruction Ritual Spell
- Illusion Ritual Spell
- Restoration Ritual Spell
College of Winterhold Characters
- Savos Aren – Arch-Mage
- Mirabelle Ervine – Master Wizard
- Tolfdir – Scholar of Alteration magic
- Colette Marence – Scholar of Restoration magic
- Faralda – Scholar of Destruction magic
- Drevis Neloren – Scholar of Illusion magic
- Phinis Gestor – Scholar Conjurer
- Sergius Turrianus – Scholar Enchanter
- Urag gro-Shub – Librarian and Scholar
- Nirya – Scholar
- Arniel Gane – Scholar
- Enthir – Scholar and Black Market trader
- Wuunferth the Unliving – Court Wizard of Windhelm
- Brelyna Maryon – Student
- Onmund – Student
- J'zargo – Student
- Ancano – Not an actual member of the College, but is an advisor from the Thalmor.
Points of interest
College of Winterhold Maps
College of Winterhold Quests Map
College of Winterhold Treasure Map
- As with most other places in Skyrim, the College is a possible spawning place for dragons―sometimes several dragons. The most commonly encountered dragon around level 20 and higher is the Blood Dragon and will usually respawn.
- When seen from above, the College's structure greatly resembles the Magical diagrams found in Shalidor's Insights.
- Just beneath the floor of the College quarters, there are four chests containing various high-leveled robes, tomes, soul gems, quest items, and other mage-oriented gear organized by magic school. They can be accessed on the PC version by typing tcl into the console to toggle no-clipping mode and enable walking through solid surfaces. On the console versions, these chests are randomly accessible due to bugs in the game's texture loading system. There might occasionally be a missing floor tile in the Hall of the Elements, revealing one of the chests. It is then reachable by crouching close to the chest without touching the broken floor. All objects taken from these chests are considered stolen.
- Even after joining the College, Farengar Secret-Fire in Dragonsreach still says, "You know, if you have the aptitude, you should join the mages' college in Winterhold."
- The College of Winterhold has more teachers than students at the time the Dragonborn joins.
- In the Hall of Elements, the teachers and librarian will hold speeches about their particular subject. Once their speeches are completed, everyone returns to their daily positions.
- After completing "Arniel's Endeavor" it is possible to see Arniel's Shade wandering around the College and even sleeping in his room.
- By some people at the College, it was said the College of Winterhold was the most famous mages guild before the Great Collapse. Some say that people from all over Tamriel would visit Skyrim just to join the College.
- It is possible to enter the College of Winterhold without becoming an apprentice. One can enter by standing on the edge of the bridge and using the "Whirlwind Sprint" shout to fly through the side of the building. However, all three words of the shout must be learned, as the length between the bridge and the opening is too far for only the first or first two words. It is also possible to return back to the bridge using the same method.
The ruins of buildings underneath the main bridge are most likely debris from the Great Collapse.